[DARE #4] Get Unstuck – Start a LinkedIn Conversation
Last week I asked you to “ask for more.”
The rationale behind that dare was three-fold, to get you to:
- Think through what you might need more of to live a more manageable life
- Identify who holds the power in giving you this need
- Persuade that decision-maker in a way that focuses on their needs
Truthfully, I got you to start thinking like an expert negotiator!!!
Think about this exercise when you stand in front of a prospective employer who has just presented you with an “okay” job offer.
On my end, I asked for many mores, here are some of my successes:
-More childcare to attend an all day conference (pretty psyched about this)
-More radio on-air time since my first experience was fulfilling (I got a yes and will be recording next week!)
-More resources so I hired a new consultant to help me with operations (welcome Catherine)
-More reliable web hosting solutions (boring, but necessary, it’s live right now)
Now, on to dare #4
69 out of 100 of the Fortune 100 companies recruit using Linkedin.
Additionally, top executives from all Fortune 500 firms are on Linkedin.
And recruiters who post jobs across social media networks are getting more applications via LinkedIn than on any other social media site.
These stats along with a plethora more make standing out on LinkedIn essential if you are going after a competitive firm in finance in the US, UK, Australia, and Canada.
So, here’s the dare
- Get on LinkedIn
- Go beyond being a passive user and start standing out
- Join a career-specific LinkedIn group
- Write a thoughtful message on said group geared towards sparking a lively conversation!
- Then email me a screenshot of what you wrote as viewers will see it in LinkedIn
What’s in it for you? Other than gaining the attention of industry professionals via LinkedIn?
I’ll email you back a fill-in-the-blank script template to help you refine your LinkedIn summary section.
Happy Sunday, all!